Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Camille Time! (My Favorite Bestest Liberal!)

Camille is responding to letters in Salon this week, and I must blog this great snippet. It's in response to a gay man's disappointment with her using the term "turning gay", and, in her reply, she perfectly parses what has also been my understanding/gleaning from those around me who have chosen "alternative lifestyles":

I have said many times before that I do not believe homosexuality is inborn but that it is an adaptation to specific circumstances and possibilities. What many gay men are remembering as their innate gayness was in fact some other attribute (often an artistic gene) that may have led to a dislocation from roughhousing male bonding. The sex instinct, which comes later, is in my view heavily symbolic among human beings. (Post-structuralism, among its many pathetic flaws, is helpless with symbolism.)

Once the symbolism of erotic attraction is deeply implanted in the brain, it is almost impossible to change it (my note... "almost" impossible but not, NOT, totally). And in a just society, sexual orientation would not be subject to such pressures anyhow. Everyone, in my strong opinion, has the potential for bisexual response and expression. Hence I think both exclusive heterosexuality and exclusive homosexuality do need to be "explained." I understand the biological imperative of hormones, which drive male and female to mate and reproduce. But why is anyone entirely gay? It seems incontrovertible to me that at root there is indeed a dissatisfaction of some kind with the opposite sex, grounded in early experiences and reinforced in adolescence. There is not a single gay person whom I have known over the course of my life since high school for whom childhood factors played no role whatever in his or her adult choice. And yes, behavior is a choice, even if fantasy and imagination are uncontrollable.


One cannot help what thoughts one has, but to say that one cannot choose to act upon them, or not, destroys the basis for civilized life. (Think islamic societies where women must be covered up in order to protect them from otherwise uncontrollable men. We think, "Savages!"... and rightfully so!)

No comments:



Videos

:: Rebel Evolution ::

2005 Liberty Film Festival Short-Doc Nomination: :: Sealed For Your Protection ::

:: Boomerang ::

:: Fort Hood Documentary

Remembering A Massacre
::

:: Sarah Palin Rocks Texas

for Governor Perry
::

:: Texas Starts with T

The Tea Party in 12 Easy Minutes
::



Clips and Interviews

:: Governor Rick Perry:

On the Tea Party Movement, Senator Hutchison, and Debra Medina
::

:: Breitbart's Challenge to New Media:

Destroy Those Who Would Destroy You
::

:: Andrew Breitbart:

Time To Start Returning The Punches of the Bully Media
::

:: Rick Perry / Austin Tea Party

On Secession and "Right Wing Extremism"
::











:: Follow me on Twitter ::



:: Unspun with AnnaZ on BlogTalkRadio ::

:: Unspun podcast on iTunes ::