Friday, July 13, 2007

Homeless man cleans streets instead of begging

Homeless man cleans streets instead of begging

He's picking up 80 bags of trash a day in return for donations

TORONTO (Sun Media) - Marc the Litter Guy needed money to pay the rent but he didn't want to panhandle.

So the 30-year-old got some garbage bags and put a sign on his back saying he was cleaning the city for donations.

"I needed to make my own job, so I thought I'd go around and clean the streets. I wear a sign -- it tells what I'm doing and asks for donations -- but I don't ask for money verbally, I leave it up to people," said Marc, who has been picking up about 80 bags of garbage a day for the past 11 months.

Marc was struggling to get work as a day labourer and was tired of lining up at 4:30 a.m every day looking for a job that wasn't there.

"I can have crappy days where I don't make minimum wage, but some days I can make $10 an hour," he said.

Marc has some specific areas where he works, and it's not uncommon for businesses to donate garbage bags and give him a few bucks to clean up their areas.

Marc is talking to faculty at the University of Toronto about starting a pilot project, where panhandlers could meet at the university and then disperse with garbage bags to different locales.

"I just think this is a viable option for panhandlers and it is good for the city," he said.

It is commonplace for many panhandlers to stake out the same corner every day to beg for money.

"I think this guy has a great idea," said Robin MacDonald, a customer at Starbucks on King St. E.

"Here you have a guy who doesn't bother people and he gives back. I wouldn't mind giving my change to him."

No comments:



Videos

:: Rebel Evolution ::

2005 Liberty Film Festival Short-Doc Nomination: :: Sealed For Your Protection ::

:: Boomerang ::

:: Fort Hood Documentary

Remembering A Massacre
::

:: Sarah Palin Rocks Texas

for Governor Perry
::

:: Texas Starts with T

The Tea Party in 12 Easy Minutes
::



Clips and Interviews

:: Governor Rick Perry:

On the Tea Party Movement, Senator Hutchison, and Debra Medina
::

:: Breitbart's Challenge to New Media:

Destroy Those Who Would Destroy You
::

:: Andrew Breitbart:

Time To Start Returning The Punches of the Bully Media
::

:: Rick Perry / Austin Tea Party

On Secession and "Right Wing Extremism"
::











:: Follow me on Twitter ::



:: Unspun with AnnaZ on BlogTalkRadio ::

:: Unspun podcast on iTunes ::