Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What I Needed This Morning ::: Sinéad O'Connor/Whomsoever Dwells/Psalm 91

Before I get into blogging the madness of the day I feel that sometimes it's good to take a deep breath and remember what's important... the power and peace available to all who seek it. Set sights on the eternal, the temporal is just a minor annoying challenge.

Sinéad O'Connor has long been a favorite of mine, from her first album to today. She's never boring, always searching and exploring, a true artist.

The song I'm embedding below (both the original studio version and a live one) is not only my favorite track from her last album, Theology, but perhaps of all time. And I'm embarrassed to have only discovered today that it is almost wholly based on Psalm 91. (Also realized that the title of her first album, The Lion and The Cobra, was taken from this psalm as well.)

Shortly after Theology was released a friend took me to see her perform live. Unfortunately she didn't cover this track, but I am so glad to see that she eventually did add it to her setlist.

I find it to be absolutely magnificent. Play loud.

Psalm 91

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation."


Whomsoever Dwells, London Session:





Live performance in Amsterdam:

No comments:



Videos

:: Rebel Evolution ::

2005 Liberty Film Festival Short-Doc Nomination: :: Sealed For Your Protection ::

:: Boomerang ::

:: Fort Hood Documentary

Remembering A Massacre
::

:: Sarah Palin Rocks Texas

for Governor Perry
::

:: Texas Starts with T

The Tea Party in 12 Easy Minutes
::



Clips and Interviews

:: Governor Rick Perry:

On the Tea Party Movement, Senator Hutchison, and Debra Medina
::

:: Breitbart's Challenge to New Media:

Destroy Those Who Would Destroy You
::

:: Andrew Breitbart:

Time To Start Returning The Punches of the Bully Media
::

:: Rick Perry / Austin Tea Party

On Secession and "Right Wing Extremism"
::











:: Follow me on Twitter ::



:: Unspun with AnnaZ on BlogTalkRadio ::

:: Unspun podcast on iTunes ::